My reflections on our first yearPosted by Peter Manning on
One year. It’s seems like only yesterday when the New York Times story broke, launching what we hope is a revolution for the way that clothes fit on shorter men.
It’s true that sometimes people don’t believe me when I tell them that I make a line of clothes for shorter men. They think I’m kidding. When I tell them that there are 30 million American men who fit the bill, they stop laughing.
The thing that kills me is that in our society being short can be source of shame. But why should it be? It shouldn’t and I believe one of the best ways to come to peace with our stature is by wearing clothes that fit correctly. Just having your shirt hit the right spot below your waist will make you look 10 times better.
Jeff Hansen, my partner at Peter Manning NYC, tried on a sample of our new classic fit chino and he looked 10 pounds lighter and two inches taller. I’m not kidding. It really works. And his wife loved it. They all do. Wives and girlfriends write us all the time telling us how great their guys look.
Some highlights from our first year:
- First of all, I must praise our amazing customers, who provided incredible feedback, unbelievable loyalty and support from across the nation. Thank you.
- Not everything was perfect. A certain mishap with the depth of our chino pockets almost caused me to lose my mind. The chinos are fixed. Our customers love them. I have to admit: They are sharp.
- Denim! We introduced jeans and folks loved them – not too trendy but great fitting with perfect shorter inseams. Jeans are essential and we reach for ours almost every day.
- The support of others was integral to the success of Peter Manning NYC. This could be felt especially during our second photo shoot in Chelsea. From our stylist, photographer, assistants, hair and makeup expert, the whole day of work felt like a celebration of our collective success.
- Seeing Peter Manning NYC clothes on the streets. I will never get over it.
It’s been a great ride so far and it is just the beginning. Here’s to many, many years of helping men look better.